IRS Tax Trouble – Find an IRS Taxpayer Advocate

If you’re having some trouble with the IRS, the easiest way to get out of it is to seek help from the Taxpayer Advocate Service. Is it part of the IRS? Yes, it is an independent group within the IRS.

This group within the IRS works with taxpayers who are having serious trouble with the IRS. To qualify as “serious trouble” the tax issue must be a long-standing and has not been resolved through normal channels. You can also go to the Tax Advocate Service if you feel that an IRS system or procedure is not working as well as it should.

In each state there is at least one tax payer advocate. So, while you may hate the IRS, at least there is one group within that office that’s acts like its big brother. This group protects the interests of taxpayers in two ways:

(a) Ensuring that your serious tax problems are fairly and promptly handled, and

(b) Identifying tax issues that worsen the burden or create problems for taxpayers.

If you are currently having trouble with the IRS, you can file 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, or request an IRS employee to complete the said request on your behalf. You can then fax or mail the form to your local tax advocate office.

You could qualify for Taxpayer Advocate Service assistance if you are experiencing the following:

* Incurring huge costs associated with resolving the tax issue, fees for professional representation.

* It’s been over a month since your tax issue came up.

* You have not received a reply or resolution on your issue on the date promised by the IRS.

The good thing about this internal Taxpayer Advocate group is that it is free. Any interaction with your taxpayer is considered confidential. And taxpayer advocates are part of the IRS, they would know to tackle your tax situation.